This Is 40

No, this is not a review of the movie by Judd Apatow.

This is just my thoughts on turning 40.

Now, I realize I am not the first person to cross this mile marker of age. Many people have gone before me and lived to tell about it and I'm sure, many will follow me "over the hill" of the dreaded number 40.

With this birthday looming in front of me (about 1 month), I can't help but do some analyzing of myself and my life.
        Am I where I hoped I'd be?
        Have I checked things of the proverbial Bucket List?
        Do I need some "work" done? --kidding! :)

What is it about turning 40 that make us question who we are? You know what I mean... Even if you are completely secure in yourself, there is something about a monumental birthday that has you thinking about life and choices.

Since I am staring 40 in the face, I decided to list some of the things I have experienced over the years.

1. Family: Growing up in a family with both parents who are still married today and will celebrate 44 years of wedded bliss on my birthday is a huge blessing.  Having a younger sister whom I enjoy and consider a dear friend, yet another blessing. Enjoying the mass amount of extended family (grandparents, uncles, aunts, and cousins) has enriched my life and continues to do so, you guessed it--another blessing. Starting my own family with my hubby and 2 sons, priceless--absolutely priceless.

2. Friends: These are people who are not related to you by blood but you consider them family anyway. I cannot even begin to express how thankful for all of my friends through out my 40 years. Some are still a part of my life, others were just for a season but the place they hold in my heart will remain forever.

3. School: Elementary, Jr High, High School and even some college played a huge role in my life helping to shape and form my thoughts and opinions. Teaching me skills I will never use and some I use every day. I love learning and the pursuit of knowledge but school was not the avenue I liked. It was a necessary evil and I was so happy to be done with it!

4. Youth: My only wish is that I could've told myself that the world is much bigger than what my little mind perceived and just enjoy being young. Why are we in such a rush to grow up? Once we grow up, we try so hard to reclaim our youth. Really, that is messed up!

5. Church: Church is just a building and God is alive and powerful but he is not contained in a building. Church taught me Biblical principles and knowledge. God taught me that people are fallible, imperfect, sinners in need of love and forgiveness. I've also learned that I cannot exist with out Him.

6. Boys: Little boys grow into big boys and that's about all the difference between a child and an adult of the male species. They are fascinating creatures that consumed my world early on. They think differently and I will never understand them fully.

7. Love: I have experienced all kinds of love from family, friends and romantic relationships to the love of a pet. I've even had feelings for a car or two, a pair of jeans and even a blanket. The feeling of love is much like God, it cannot be kept in a box, it's too big. I found this out when I met my hubby and then again after the birth of each of my sons.

8. Marriage: I married my one true love a little over 20 years ago. Somehow we have managed to hang in there and still like each other after all this time. I am hopeful for the next 20... Seriously though, I cannot imagine life with out him. I think of that song by Little Big Town, Better Dig Two, because that's how I feel about Shannon. ;)

9. Parenthood: The absolute hardest and most rewarding job I've ever had. Being a mother has forever altered how I see life and how I live it. With out our darling spawn, I'd just be a vain and shallow shell of a human. These boys keep me happy, humble and in hysterics. They can also frustrate the heck out of me at times too!

10. Responsibility: This is a major part of life that never, ever, EVER changes. What you are responsible for might change but as you grow older, life seems to bring even more responsibilities. And much like friends, some are lifetime responsibilities and others are just for a season. The sooner you accept this as a fact of life the better off you'll be.

11. Travel: The world we live in is a vast playground! It is meant to be enjoyed. We've seen bits of Europe, Mexico, South America and a few islands in between and there is still so much more out there just waiting to be explored. Even right here in the US there are states we have yet to set foot in. More travel is definitely making the bucket list.

12. Health: This is such an important part of life. Life can be very hard and unpleasant when your health is suffering. Knowing what I know now, I would go back and change MANY of my bad habits! However, you are never too old to improve your health, the journey may just be a little harder. Eat right, exercise, use portion control in ALL AREAS of your life. There really can be too much of a good thing and it can threaten your well-being in the present and future.

13. Forgiveness: It is good for the soul. Forgive period. It's not easy but it it's necessary. What goes around comes around so be generous with forgiveness and stingy with judgement.

OK, so there's a baker's dozen on turning 40. This will probably be a multi-part posting as I have a whole month to reflect on the big 4-0. Until then, I'm off to live abundantly!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UHG!

There's an oil for that...

New Year ~ New Me