A Healthy New Challenge, Day 1

I love to be challenged. It helps get me going, maybe I work better under pressure? I don't really know but I am very excited to start this new excuse to write.



Wego Health: The Health Activist Writer's Month Challenge

The above link is the challenge I have just committed to.

This is Day 1. This is my prompt: Why do I write about my health online and what got me started?

  • How it all began-- In February 2010 I went to a fitness ranch in the hill country of Texas where I met some amazing people and learned a lot about myself in the process. When I returned home I decided to start a blog journaling my journey with chronic illness, specifically Ulcerative Colitis and all it's perks. Having dealt with this disease for 6 years (diagnosed in '04), I wanted to share my experiences and I love to write so it was a good excuse to spend lots of time doing just that... It started out as a place to lay out my frustrations and triumphs but soon, the journaling became a necessary form of therapy for my soul. I found I could express myself honestly through the use of words. It helped to keep me focused on what was important and helped my mind to not be consumed by the blasted disease my body was fighting. Writing proved to be a much needed outlet on so many levels. 
  • Why I continue to write-- People. People are why I continue to blog about my health. It wasn't long before I started getting feedback on my blog. Encouragement came from friends and family and also, complete strangers. I began to receive comments from others who, like me, struggle with chronic illness. My honest account of my fears, anger, set backs, perseverance and small victories seemed to reach out to others. In return, my spirit grew as I connected with others who understood what a battle every day can be when living with a rebellious body. If just one person can be uplifted and know that they are not alone in their fight with chronic illness, it's enough for me to continue to put myself out there. Illness of any kind is difficult but living with chronic illness can be isolating. I want others to know, life can be lived abundantly even with health issues.
  • Why HAWMC (Health Activist Writer's Month Challenge)? Why did I get involved this year? I have followed Wego Health for close to a year now and am in awe of how informative this site is on so many diseases and conditions. While I've never participated in any of the forums, I do browse their links and articles often. The wealth of information they provide is amazing as well as the forum and events they sponsor to spread awareness. The reason I wanted to take the challenge of blogging for 30 days straight is simple really, I want to spread awareness about IBD specifically, Ulcerative Colitis and life with an ostomy. My writing style is not professional by any means but it's honest and it's my hope that others find encouragement and connection while dealing with the physical and emotional battle of chronic illness. 
So there it is, Day 1 of the 30 day challenge. I am excited to see where these 30 days will take me and the things I will learn from others who have joined the challenge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UHG!

There's an oil for that...

New Year ~ New Me