3:45 am...

That's right it's 3:45 am and I'm blogging. Why? Well, I'm in pain again. Nope, not the hips or the gut, actually it's my left foot! You see, I have a stupid stress fracture from running on the treadmill! I guess the pain meds wore off because it is throbbing like crazy right now. So, I'm up until the next dose kicks in.

Tuesday evening I went to the gym to work out. I was so proud of myself for starting a new exercise routine and staying with it. When I finished my walk/run program on the treadmill, I was fine until I stepped off and felt shocking pains shoot from the top of my foot all the way up my shin. I nearly fell down! On the way home I noticed my shoe was feeling really tight and I couldn't wait to get it off. Once I was home and the shoe came off, I realized my foot was pretty swollen. I couldn't put any weight on it either. The last thing I wanted to do at 9 pm was go to the 24 hour care clinic for an xray. So, after a miserable night I called a podiatrist friend for an appointment. Sure enough, stress fracture in 2, possibly 3 bones on the top of my foot up by my toes. Evidently, this is a common injury in women who run on treadmills. My doc said not a month goes by that he doesn't treat someone for the exact same thing! He also told me, in no uncertain terms, that I was not to get on another treadmill, EVER. Once you've had this injury you are more susceptible to it again and again. Well now, I'm wearing a lovely orthopedic boot and instructed to do so for the next 2-3 weeks. We are supposed to go skiing for spring break in 4 weeks! It's going to kill me if I can't ski! UHG.

On another note, I submitted the story of my journey with UC to a website I follow. It was reviewed and posted to the site as well as entered into a writing contest. Here's the link to it: http://www.ihaveuc.com/living-abundantly-with-ulcerative-colitis/
I am so pumped to have my story out there. I hope that others can read it and find hope and encouragement too. Or, at least know they are not alone. This can be such a dark disease to live with. Please, check it out and feel free to encourage others to read it if you think it might help them. I figure since I have this disease, even though it can be a bit embarrassing, if sharing my story helps even one person who is struggling-then it's worth it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UHG!

There's an oil for that...

New Year ~ New Me