Heat Exhaustion

Well thanks to WebMD I diagnosed myself with heat exhaustion. Shannon has suffered from it too so he was my 2nd opinion. Sure glad I didn't have to go to a real doctor...

Here's what happened: I played 2 hours of tennis yesterday morning and half way through the match I started feeling really sluggish. I was drinking water by the gallon and couldn't seem to cool down. By the end I thought I might drop on the court if I didn't get to my car as soon as possible. My car thermometer read 91 degrees at 11am. No wonder I was hot! You can add about 20 degrees to that and that's usually the temp on a tennis court. As I drove home, nausea set in. I figured I was just hot and hungry so I drove through Taco Villa (my fave :) for some lunch and an ice cold drink. When I got home, I showered and sat down to rest and get back my energy. No luck. I started feeling worse. I was shivering and sweating at the same time. I thought this is great, I've somehow contracted a plague of some sort. The nausea set in big time and I went to lay down. Fast forward through a long nap and I take Thomas to the YMCA. As soon as I stepped outside, nausea hit hard and I nearly puked in the driveway for the whole neighborhood to enjoy. Finally I was back home and went straight to bed again. Now it's time for dinner and Shannon and I head to the car because of course, I don't feel like slaving over a hot stove. The minute I step outside into the oppressive heat I want to barf. My head starts swimming and my vision contracts to that of a pin point. After a few deep breaths I can see again but I'm still on the edge of a very high cliff. This sucks. Eventually, it's time for bed and I can crawl in and pass out, which I did almost immediately. 

I'm feeling better this morning but still a little leery of spending much time outside today. I'm guessing that with my ostomy my body is still adjusting to how to function with out a colon and large intestine. I already know to drink lots of fluids to avoid dehydrating but now I'm going to need to take steps to avoid overheating too. It's a little frustrating and honestly, disappointing to have to deal with this. It just snuck up on me and I wasn't prepared at all. The learning curve to this ostomy thing is getting a little tiresome. Just when I think I have a handle on it, here comes a curve ball. Oy.

I'm a little concerned about our vacation coming up in Cabo San Lucas. I love to lay on the beach for hours and taking dips in the ocean to cool down. Sipping something fruity and delicious while reading a good page turner. I must remember to stay hydrated and not get too hot now. *sigh*

Oh well, I guess I need to remember that a few months ago I could've been cold, stiff and 6 feet under instead of planning a vacation to the beach. 

Yes. This needs to be my new focus. 

My pity party is officially over. 

Moving forward- I need to pack for this jaunt to the beach, which will be my first time to rock the ostomy in a bathing suit publicly. Nervous and a little unsure. What if the adhesive doesn't hold up in the constant state of wetness? I'm worried about the waves knocking the whole thing loose and then having a real embarrassing issue of pooh running down my leg. What if I don't notice the bag has completely come off and is floating beside me in the ocean... or worse--the pool!?! 

OK. I'm stopping my obsessing right now, this is getting me nowhere!

I mean really, what's the worst that can happen? Of course any of the above events would be horribly embarrassing but I will not die from it. I might even give someone a great vacation story, besides--odds are I'll never see these people again.

One week from today we will be smelling the ocean breeze and feeling the sand between our toes. I am holding on to this image. Until then, my prayers will be for safe travels and no ostomy mishaps.

Comments

  1. This same thing happens to me, even without an ostomy bag. I get so sick but the worst part for me is the incredible headache. My solution, because no amount of water, Gatorade, or big floppy hat action will work, is drugs. I got some Excedrin Migraine which helps some.

    My prayers will definitely be with you while you're gone. I've never had a bag float up beside me but I've had other things.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UHG!

There's an oil for that...

New Year ~ New Me