There is more than what we see...

Getting ready to head to Austin for the Thanksgiving holiday requires a team and I seem to be the only one on the team right now. The day we leave the team will become 4 but until then it's just me. This is the only thing about leaving town that I dread. I want to leave the house in decent order because when we come back, everyone will be tired and the laundry will be HUGE and we will  be tired. The other thing is that with this stupid UC, my energy is zapped easily. Traveling really does a number on me too. No matter how much I try to prepare, it's still hard. And FRUSTRATING! But anyway-- I'm  in the middle of laundry and the usual maintenance when I decide to pull out the Christmas decor... yep, bad idea. I have just added 3x the work to do within the next 2 days. Brilliant. Sometimes I forget that my energy is limited. Oh well, I'll just do what I can because I'm sure it will still be here waiting for me when we get back. 


Today at church I was reminded that there is more than what we see available and waiting for us. This was such a great reminder for me. I needed to bring my focus back to what is bigger than me. Bigger than UC. Bigger than pain. I know some people don't believe in God or feel the need to believe but I am reminded daily that I do. I need to know there is a God. I need to know there is more than what this life has to offer. Please do not misunderstand--I have an amazing life, I want for nothing. I am blessed with family and friends and my needs are met beyond what is necessary. But seriously, if this was it? I don't think I would be able to tolerate the physical pain I endure daily. I know that if I chose to check out, whether it be temporary or permanent, it would effect so many people besides myself. Besides, I  know that if God cared enough to give me life then I must honor Him, and live it to the fullest. I have embraced this verse as my new mantra: 

2 Corinthians 4:16-18 (New International Version)


 16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.


Thanksgiving day will commence with the Turkey Trot run which I have been trying to train for. Unfortunately, the UC has not been too cooperative. I am very disappointed by this. Living in the Texas Panhandle does not accommodate people with joint issues. When the weather changes here, you better hang on because it's going to be fast and furious! It's hard when the temp drops 20 degrees in an hour and a Northern blows in with 60 mph winds. Uhg! There is no escaping it. So, needless to say I am not ready to run the Trot. I do plan to walk the 1 mile part though. I haven't given up completely...yet...


Another goal I had was to slim down some by Thanksgiving. Don't know if I've achieved that one yet or not. Haven't gotten on the scale, out of fear honestly. Tomorrow--tomorrow I will step on that scale. A couple of people have told me they thought I look a little slimmer so God bless them! True or not it was huge for my ego! We are having a photographer come to my in-laws ranch to do pics on Friday after we stuff ourselves silly on Thursday...hummmm, maybe we should have the pics made on Wednesday?


The email was sent out requiring that we wear boots and jeans for the photo op. Ok. We may be born and raised Texans but that doesn't mean we all have boots and jeans...I spent last week buying boots and jeans for 3 of us. It was fun though and I look forward to seeing the finished pictures.


My mom-n-law decided to hire a guy to cook, serve AND clean during our family meal! How cool is that! I am so happy for her especially. Now, she can completely relax instead of wearing herself out with the prep and hosting. She was telling me about him and referencing "Franc" (pronounced 'Fraunk') from the movie Father of the Bride (1992) with Steve Martin. This should be fun! 


Well, I better call it a night since I Have a to do list longer than my leg for tomorrow. 


Happy Thanksgiving!!!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UHG!

There's an oil for that...

New Year ~ New Me