Honey, I'm Home!

It is so good to be back home!! There is nothing like crawling into your own bed, sitting in your own recliner, using your own toilet...
I could keep going!

For the most part, it's been a fairly smooth transition. Pain management seems to be the trickiest. I have set an alarm on my phone to remind me to take it. My bathroom trips to expel the contents of the ileostomy bag are going better than I expected too. In fact, this morning I even changed the whole contraption by myself with out incident! GLORY BE!

My tummy is still very sore from the surgery and very bruised. I look like a small ninja beat the tar out of me. My strength has a long ways to go before I am close to normal. Just walking from room to room or refilling a drink can make me very shaky.

We are so incredibly blessed by the people in our lives. For the past 2 weeks, someone has brought us dinner every other night. There have been numerous offers of help from taxing the kids to laundry service.  It is unbelievably humbling and heart touching to know you are cared for by so many. My housekeepers, who are really more my friends than just that, knock themselves out helping to keep this house that 1 grown man and 2 teenaged boys wallowed in alone for 2 weeks. As I sit now, they are bustling about making things right again.

My new normal with this ileostomy may be a bit daunting right now, but the quality of life it will give me will soon out weigh it's cons. I am grateful to be able to get up each morning with the thought of what the new day holds. Things can always be worse, much worse. This is just a speed bump in the road along the way.

The boys have been so sweet, so attentive. Everyday after school they come in and give me hugs. This is not the norm. They usually come in, grunt a hello, raid the pantry and run off somewhere to decompress from the day. I am loving their attention because I know when I am back in the saddle again they will return to their caveman like behavior.

There is a peacefulness in the house that I am grateful for as well. Everyone is working together and helping out. We all seem to understand just how quickly life could be very different from what we are used too and we are all very thankful for the return of our "normal."


Comments

  1. I'm so glad you are hope and I know this new normal will be challenging, but I have no doubt that you will make the very best out of it. I'd like to come visit when you have more energy. Although I cannot specifically relate to your ailments, I find many of the frustrations and emotions to be very similar. I'm so glad you are home. <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UHG!

There's an oil for that...

New Year ~ New Me