Inflammatory Bowel Disease Awareness

Did you know that roughly 1.4 million Americans suffer from an Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)?
IBD by wikipedia
^ Hit this to find out exactly what IBD is.

I am part of these statistics. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in 2004 after suffering symptoms for over a year. After many, many different treatments I was left with one solution to control the disease, an ileostomy. In 2011 I had my colon and large intestine removed permanently.
Ulcerative Colitis
^ Hit this to learn more about UC and other IBDs.

Ileostomy by wikipedia
^ Hit this if you wanna know more about an ileostomy

Ostomy
^ Hit this one to read about ostomies.

December 1-7 is designated as IBD Awareness Week. You would be surprised to know how many people suffer from a bowel disease and even more surprised to find out how many have an ostomy of some sort.

IBD is not a "glamorous" thing to have. No one runs around in t-shirts saying Save The Colon or wears bracelets proclaiming I Love Guts. I am not knocking breast cancer by any means--I lost one of my closest friends to it, I raise money for Susan G. Komen and I even wear the t-shirts with the little pink ribbon--I just wish IBD was as well-known.

Before I was diagnosed with UC, I thought only old men had these types of issues. WRONG. Most people with IBD are diagnosed in their teens and early adulthood. Some are even diagnosed as children.

Looking back, I can see symptoms of UC in my life as a young child. Every single time I had to take antibiotics, my guts would react with severe diarrhea for weeks after. In my early 20's I had a severe secondary bacterial infection in my intestines that brought me to see a GI doc for the first time. I was 31 when I was finally diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis.

Since having my colon and large intestine removed in September 2011, I can honestly say I will never regret it. Having an ostomy isn't ideal but it is a cure for UC. I no longer suffer from horrendous pain, 20 bathroom trips a day or medicines with side effects as long as my leg. My ileostomy is a gift. It has given my life back to me. I can do more now with an ostomy than I could before with out it.

Did you know there are a few famous people with ostomies? Here's a list of some. I also came across this article from the NY Times, it's from the 1980's but still very relevant and lists a few famous Ostomates as well.
Dwight Eisenhower - Former US President

Fred Astaire - actor/dancer

Suzanne Rosenthal - CCFA Founder

Red Skelton - comedian

Ed Sullivan - TV host

Ann Sothern and Loretta Young - actresses

Barbara Barrie - actress

Napoleon Bonaparte - world leader and military conqueror

Marvin Bush - financial advisor and son of former US president

Al Geiberger - professional golfer - Had to undergone a series of After Colostomy Diets to arrive at one that suited him well.

Tip O’Neil - US Speaker of the House 

William Powell - actor

Queen Mother of England (colostomy since 1966) - British Royal


I do believe we are in good company. You can Google and find other celebs who battle IBD too. Here are a few links I came across:
Famous People with IBD
Celebs with IBD
ihateibd.com famous people with IBD

IBD can be a very embarrassing, restrictive, depressing and lonely disease, but it doesn't have to be. Just because your medical chart is labeled with IBD doesn't mean you are. You are you, a person with many talents, skills and dreams. Do not let a disease define who you are. The best thing you can do is find a way to become the best you in spite of disease. Push forward and focus on the good days. Know you are NOT alone and seek out support. The more awareness for IBD the better. Let's not allow a disease to crush our spirit because it will if you let it. Stand tall, stay strong and know you're not fighting this battle alone.


Comments

  1. My name is hoover, my 18 year old daughter, Tricia was diagnosed of herpes 3 years ago. ever since then,we have been going from one hospital to the other. We tried all sorts of pills but all efforts to get rid of the virus was futile. The blisters kept on reappearing after some months. My daughter was making use of Acyclovir tablets 200mg. 2 tablets every 6hours and fusitin cream 15grams. and H5 POT. Permanganate with water to be applied 2x a day but all still show no result. So I was on the internet some months back, to sought for any other means of saving my only child. just then, i came across a comment on dr imoloa herbal treatment and decided to give it a try. i contacted the him and he prepared some herbs and sent it to me together with guidelines on how to use the herbs through DHL courier service. my daughter used it as directed dr imoloa and in less than 14days, my daughter regained her health.. You should contact Dr imoloa today directly on his email address for any kind of health challenge; lupus disease, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, fever, hepatitis A.B.C., syphilis, diarrhoea, HIV/AIDS, Huntington's Disease, back acne, Chronic renal failure, addison disease, Chronic Pain, Crohn's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Fibromyalgia, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, fungal nail disease, Lyme Disease, Lymphoma, Major Depression, Malignant Melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's Disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis , Multiple Sclerosis, Muscular Dystrophy, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's Disease, parkison disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy, Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease, Back Pain, Back Sprain, Bipolar Disorder, Brain Tumour, Malignant, Bruxism, Bulimia disease, Cervical Disk Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Hypertension, Diabetes, asthma, Inflammatory autoimmune-mediated arthritis. chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease, impotence, feta alcohol spectrum, Dysthymic Disorder, Eczema, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease. and many more; contact him on email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com./ also on whatssap-+2347081986098.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. Well what can I say is that these is an interesting and very informative topic on ostomy herpes

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UHG!

There's an oil for that...

New Year ~ New Me