lots of change

It's early Sunday morning and the house is quiet with sleeping boys. I love this time though I rarely see it, not being a  morning person and all. The peacefulness of a new day is comforting.

Yesterday we packed and moved all sorts of stuff to our warehouse for storage. The walls are bare and shelves are empty. Our home is slowly transforming into just a house as we prepare to start our new venture.

I know the boys are getting excited too. Even Erik, who is NOT good with change, boxed up his beloved books yesterday. This is how I know he is ready. Where ever his books are is where his home is. I completely understand this. Shannon was boxing all of my books yesterday and made the mistake of asking if we could get rid of most of them. Um, NO! was my sweet reply. If looks could kill I would be a widow...

I do love the moving process. It's hard work but so rewarding. For someone who has the potential to be a hoarder (especially of books), we should move every year. It's been almost 11 now, in a big house with lots of storage space. I am embarrassed by the amount of crap I've accumulated.

Moving is a cleansing of the mind, body and soul for me. Especially this time around. By leaving this wonderful place that served as our home for many years, I am able to say goodbye to 8 very long years of chronic illness and pain. It's a sweet sorrow. On one hand, this home holds so many great memories of our boys growing into young men, countless family gatherings, fun parties and cook outs spent with friends as well as, quiet, sweet and low key days with just the four of us. The sorrow part-- the times I spent confined in bed from unrelenting pain and the stairs that mocked me with their mountain-like climb. The many nights I wandered the rooms praying for relief in the form of sleep. I will not miss these memories.

With a 2nd chance at life comes great change. I cannot continue to exist as I have before. It's time to let someone else move into this house we built and create their own memories. This house we thought was our dream home will now be open for another family's dreams. I am excited by this prospect! The idea that even our home will have a 2nd chance to be a blessing too fills my soul with happiness.

Yes, lots of change awaits for us. Erik is officially a senior now. This may be our very last real summer with him before he embarks on his college career. I am so excited for him to follow his dreams and find life on his own. It will be an adventure just to watch. Thomas, a sophomore next year, already has this summer packed solid with sports. I wish I had an eighth of his energy. Another adventure awaits as he dives head first into his 2nd year of high school.

This is the summer of renewal. It's a time for us to heal from the trauma of the past year spent in the wake of hospitalizations, surgeries and recovery. We are embracing the future and moving forward with out regret. Sometimes it takes a major event in your life to recognize just how blessed you are. I no longer take life for granted. No matter what each day holds, I will praise the Lord for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UHG!

There's an oil for that...

New Year ~ New Me