Lettin' It ALL Hang Out!

I head to my sister's this Wednesday. We talked earlier in the week, actually, we texted. Anyway, we decided to read the book Still Alice by Lisa Genova.
http://www.amazon.com/Still-Alice-Lisa-Genova 
It's about a very successful Harvard professor who is diagnosed with Early On-Set Alzheimer's. It is a subject that is very real to me as it runs deep in my mother's side of the family. I am having a very hard time reading much of it in one sitting. The author is a superb writer and the book flows smoothly, it just hits on a very personal level. We lost our grandmother (mom's mother) not long ago after her struggle with the disease. She was actually gone long before her body gave out. It's an ugly, ugly disease and it fights dirty. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it and not much you can do for it.

I find that after a few pages of this book, I need to put it down to clear my head. It is the perfect motivator for getting out for a run. I need something to take me away from reality for a bit. So I strap on the runners and my ipod and head out the door to get lost in music and trying to breathe.


I've just returned from such a run. It was awesome. Beautiful day, low wind, sunny and not too hot. I completely lost myself as I pounded down the street of my neighborhood. I was in the zone. My mind was far from the subject matter of Still Alice. 


I was jamming out to my "Rock that Body" play list and blissfully unaware of everything and everyone.

As I finished my run and started the cool down walking portion I looked down and saw that my shirt had ridden up above my bag and my shorts were riding low (they're a bit roomy since I've lost weight). Normally I wear some sort of wrap or belt to keep my bag close to my body and hidden under my clothes, but today, I forgot to put it on and thought it wouldn't matter. I can only assume that I was "hanging out" during my entire run...

I guess my neighbors got a good look.

I must be getting used to this bag. A few months ago I would've checked it a hundred times and been mortified that it was out in the open for all to see. Now, I'm posting a pic on the world wide web. I think I'm a little more concerned with all my wobbly bits and pasty white skin than the bag...

Running makes me feel empowered and strong. It also gives me a sense of peace and time to refocus on one thing: keeping my eyes on what's ahead. I often have long conversations with myself about goals and things I want to improve or change. I find that I can pray with less distraction while running too. As good as it is for my body, I think it's even better for my mind. I love running again and am so very glad I am getting back to it.

My play list helps me stay motivated when I feel like I can't run another step. It seems just as I am ready to stop a new song will start and the rhythm will cause my legs to keep going. Some of my songs are full of meaning for me. They remind me how far I've come in the last few months and that gets my blood pumping!

Here are a few of my faves:

  • Winner Jamie Fox featuring Justin Timberlake and T.I.
  • Rock That Body by black Eyed Peas
  • U Can't Touch This MC Hammer
  • Waka Waka Shakira
  • I'm Free The Soup Dragons
  • Feel It Three 6 Mafia
  • Release Timbaland & Justin Timberlake
  • Identify Lecrae
  • Gonna Make You Sweat C&C Music Factory
  • Freeze Pepper
There are so many on this list, these are just a few that really get me going. In fact, I'm Free by The Soup Dragons is an oldie from my high school years. The meaning of the lyrics has changed many times over the years to me. It just seems to fit me no matter where I am in life, especially right now! Here is part of the lyrics that I love:
        'Cause I'm free
To do what I want
Any old time
(I'm a new creation)

'Cause I'm free
To do what I want
Any old time
(Don't be afraid of your freedom)

'Cause I'm free
To do what I want
To be what I want
Any old time
I said I'm free
To be who I choose
 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UHG!

There's an oil for that...

New Year ~ New Me