A New Opportunity

I'm really excited and a little nervous at the same time about an opportunity that has presented itself. A friend of mine is a nurse and she teaches at WTA&M's nursing program. She asked if I would be willing to come talk to her student nurses about my ostomy procedure and be open for questions and discussion about it all. I said yes with out even really thinking about it! In my last blog post I talked about how I wanted to educate people on more than just the clinical side of ostomies... What's that saying--be careful what you ask for because you might just get it?

When I said yes, it never crossed my mind that I do not enjoy public speaking! I am hoping this will be very informal. Thankfully I may have some time to prepare as this is just penciled in for next week until my friend can firm up the date. Man, my tummy is doing flip flops just writing about it...

I have a cousin who speaks all over the country to large groups of people all the time and she is amazing at it! My own mother is a great public speaker too; she did some news anchoring at a local TV station and taught Lamaze classes when I was a kid for years. I would love to be as poised and relaxed as they seem to be in front of an audience. One time I had to lead the Pledge of Allegiance for a school thing, I thought I would pass out. I started it then realized I couldn't remember it so once everyone got rolling with it I lowered my voice to barely a whisper and backed up from the microphone. By this point, I had tunnel vision and my range of sight was that of a pin head so I have no idea if anyone noticed or not. I couldn't get off that stage fast enough!

Hopefully I've gained a little more confidence since then and as long as I'm not leading the Pledge maybe I'll be OK.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

On another note--My hair is falling out! I am shedding or more like molting. I went to the doctor this past Friday about it. He didn't seem too concerned until I told him I could run my fingers through my hair and come out with handfuls like a chemo patient. He decided to run some blood work so now I am just waiting to find out what's going on. I hope I don't go bald between now and then...

I've read where ostomy patients sometimes don't absorb enough vitamins, minerals and even nutrition so I'm wondering if it could be this. I've started taking more supplements other than a multi vitamin and calcium and have added some high protein drinks as well. I take chewable and liquid vitamins and minerals as well so my body will absorb them faster. Things go through your system much faster when you don't have a large intestine or colon.

I've also upped my water intake. With out the large intestine to help store water and keep me hydrated, I have to be aware of how much fluid I drink. Dehydration is very common in ostomy patients. I guess that could cause hair loss too now that I think about it...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I know I've said this at least a hundred time by now, but, I feel AMAZING!!! I'm starting to remember what life was like before I got sick. My energy and stamina are returning and I'm getting back to tennis, working out, and running too. I love to run and always have but over the past 7-8 years my body hurt so much that it was almost impossible to run as a habit.

I had a tennis lesson yesterday with a friend. I played the whole time and had more strength and quickness than I've had in a very long time. It felt good to hit the ball hard and make some decent shots. Before the ostomy, I did all I could just to dink the ball and keep it in play. Now I feel like my game is coming back. YEEEE-HAAAAWWWW!!!!

I'm realizing how everything seemed so overwhelming to me when I didn't feel good. If I wanted to play tennis, I knew that would be it for the rest of the day. I'd go home, shower and get in bed. Forget fixing dinner or other chores, I was done. Yesterday, I ran errands, made some breakfast foods for the week THEN played tennis THEN ran to the store THEN came home and prepped dinner and was still wide awake at 1 AM! I like this new me!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UHG!

There's an oil for that...

New Year ~ New Me