In A Microwave World

YAY!!! That's right, I'm celebrating because it's Thursday evening and that means I am one day closer to the finish line of the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5K on Saturday morning. Which really means--I can have my usual weekend wine treat again!

I've been "training" for this little 3 mile jaunt like it's a freaking Ironman. It's the only way that I could wrap my mind around it. I have to be serious about the training or I'll not be happy with myself come race day when I'm dragging along the curb and shooing the paramedics away.

Plus, I really, really want to be in shape.

In this day of instant gratification, it's easy to forget that it takes time to meet goals. And in order to keep the goal in sight, dedication through thick and thin is a must. When I was finally released from "taking it easy" in March from my December surgery, I made a goal to be the healthiest I could be by the time I turned 40. Well, 40 is right around the corner.

February will mark 40 years of life in this world. I think I was 10 when my mom got a microwave. A giant bulky appliance holding court atop of our rolling dishwasher. It was an amazing piece of metal, able to heat soup in the blink of an eye. This marked the beginning of our obsession with having what we wanted right now.

I catch myself wanting things immediately. "Patience is a virtue," and "Anything worth having is worth waiting for," are phrases I constantly remind myself of right now. Of course, I follow that up with "That's crap! I want what I want when I want it!" Ok, I really only say it in my mind but you get the idea.

This is how I feel about getting healthy again. I want it now. If I could cross my arms and I Dream of Jeanie blink to make it happen, I would (along with a new designer wardrobe). I'm working hard though. Harder than I ever have concerning my physical body.

Before kids I was one of those girls you love to hate. I could eat a large pizza by myself and follow it with real Coke -not diet- and never gain a pound. I was fit and tone with out working at it. (I know, I hate those girls now too.) I thought if a person struggled with their weight, they were lazy or just didn't care how they looked. If I could go back and slap myself, I would. Hard.

Once I had my kids, I held on to 15 extra pounds which honestly gave me curves or, actually more specifically, boobs. Always been blessed in the booty and kids just evened me out to more of an hour glass. But then illness struck and with it came steroids. I yo-yo-ed constantly with weight loss from UC and weight gain from prednisone. Before too long, prednisone won and put 50 pounds on me. Keeping the weight off was next to impossible because the UC kept me from regular exercising.

So when I say I've been working hard, it's because, in March I was at ground zero. I lost so much of my muscle tone from lack of nutrition and my stamina was completely gone due to 3 back to back surgeries complete with 27 total days in the hospital. I now have a whole new appreciation for people who struggle to claim back their bodies. It's a very daunting task emotionally as well as physically.

One full year has passed since the first surgery, my ileostomy, and I am very pleased at the progress I've made when I look back and take stock of where I started. My journey is far from over though so I am committed to seeing this through. Committed to baking my goal in the old fashioned oven versus the 30 second button on the microwave.

A friend of mine is a fabulous photographer and she took a few shots of me recently to help document my journey. Here are a few from the session.
This is my "Book Jacket" look (as if!)

SUPEROSTOMY! All I need is a cape. 


My Girls With Guts bracelet,
my 2nd favorite accessory.
My favorite accessory after the wedding ring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UHG!

New Year ~ New Me

There's an oil for that...