Pound The Alarm

Nicki Minaj isn't the only one with alarm issues. I wanted to set fire to that dang alarm clock this morning but parental duties call.
So, I'm up and drinking my cup of joe. Kids are off to school and the laundry and other chores are staring at me with judgement as I flip through the photos from last night's Emmy's on People.com. I like to think I could pull off a few of those dresses but honestly, if I could--where would I wear it to? Friday night's Homecoming game? Wouldn't I look great sitting in the bleachers with 14 billion dollars of jewelry on... Never mind the fact that I would need to run from here to sunny Cali in order to fit in one, maybe... These people can't weigh more than a handful of grapes put together!
Day dreaming is over. Let Monday commence.
I'm running today with my friend who talked me into a half marathon in December. I say "talked" but truthfully, she asked if I'd be interested in running it with her and I jumped at the chance--because I am crazy. Anywho...We are only up to 3 miles and I'm looking at 13.1 and wondering what I've gotten myself into. Seriously. I went to the gym yesterday and ran on the treadmill because I didn't want to run in the strong, hot wind that was blowing. I sucked it up BIG! It was the worst run I've had yet. It was like I had never even put on running shoes before. I know there will be days like this but I am still very unprepared for their reality. I ran on a stinkin' treadmill, why was that so hard? I usually do better on a treadmill, running at a faster pace and further than I do on the road but not this time! Nooo, I could barely keep my panting tongue from getting wrapped in the dang track. My pace was that of a crawling baby. Oy. I have to put this run behind me and just move forward. I think I'll throw my stupid alarm at it...
Today I am really having to work hard to push through the lazies (spellcheck does not recognize "lazies" as a word, by the way). I would rather crawl back into bed with my book...
My mind keeps coming back to my upcoming run today. I am very discouraged by yesterday even though I know I can't dwell on it, I am. Running, especially any kind of distance, seems to be more of a mental test of endurance at this point. Most of the time I am totally stoked at the end of a run because,

  1. I completed something that just over a year ago would've been impossible.  
  2. It makes me feel amazing, like I'm taking back something that was stolen from me.
  3. It justifies those peanut butter filled pretzels I shouldn't have bought.
Just putting this on paper (so to speak) I am starting to remember why I run. It's simple actually. Because I can. Yep, I run because I can. Because, I FREAKIN' CAN and I couldn't for so long. It was just one of many items on a very long list of things that Ulcerative Colitis ripped away from me. Ooooh, I'm getting worked up now. The fire has returned. UC pisses me off. Plain and simple. Pisses. Me. Off. It has a lot of nerve coming into my body and wrecking my life without permission. How dare it! (All that anger at the alarm has just been redirected.) Well, I showed it who was boss, I had it permanently removed form my body. I gave it the finger after 7 very long years.
OK. Time to move forward again. I will not sit here (though it would be so easy) and stew in my disappointment of a yucky run or shake my fist at a disease I no longer have. I must forge ahead, straight into Monday with a Take No Prisoners attitude.
My ostomy is my trophy! I take it everywhere as a reminder that God is bigger than disease and because of Him, I can run and leap any hurdle life places in my path. Superostomy is quickly becoming my alter ego. *Dunt Da Da Daaahhh* (cape blowing behind me) 
Time to hit the floor running (so wish I had that cape), gotta pound that To Do list. (You ain't seen nothing yet, Miss Minaj.) I'm going to start by turning into a homicidal maniac on the swarm of flies that have invaded my house. Yeah, that's right, flies have NO rights in my hood.
I feel so white when I try to talk all bad...





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UHG!

There's an oil for that...

New Year ~ New Me