Sleep is highly over rated...

At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

For the 2nd night in a row, I have not slept at all. I just made coffee, finally giving up and giving in to the day that is fast approaching.

This is what my stay in the hospital has done, messed up my sleep pattern. I feel like a newborn who has her days and nights mixed up.

Too bad I'm not writing a book. I could have made great headway over the last 48 hours. The author of the next Great American Novel, perhaps...

I'm slowly recovering from this bout of UC. All my strength is gone. Laying in bed for close to 2 weeks will zap you quicker than anything. It's going to take a while to bounce back to normal life. Frustration is at it's highest level.

I've been asked by several people if I was relieved to leave the hospital with my colon intact. No, I don't believe I am. I know this sounds crazy, but it's been a long 7 years with this damn disease. Removing my colon would cure me.

To be quite honest, I'm actually very disappointed.

After finally accepting the fact that I may be living with a colostomy bag, I am ready. This doesn't seem like such a big deal considering I would be healthy and UC-free. In fact, I think it's a decent trade.

Of course, it's not completely out of the picture. As long as I still have my colon I will possibly have another flare and another chance to rid my self of this pesky organ.

Why did I not have surgery? Well, that's a good question. You see, my colon is not sick enough this time around to justify removal. Even though it put me in the hospital for 6 days, kept me from eating for 5 days and caused pain bad enough for IV pain meds, it was just too healthy for my doc to put me on the operating table.

Doesn't seem right, does it?

So for now, my colon and I are trying to recover.

It's driving me crazy. I want to go and do. I have a ton of stuff that needs to be done with school starting tomorrow. Hopefully this week I'll be able to drive again.

I'm ready to exercise too. I was on such a roll before landing in the hospital.  I was given IV steroids during my stay but no oral script to go home with thankfully. I detest prednisone.

I will tell you this, I have amazing and wonderful family and friends. I cannot tell you the number of texts, calls, emails, facebook posts, cards, flowers, visits and prayers I have received. It is truly humbling to know there are so many people who care for me and my family. We've even gotten some great meals and yummy treats out of the deal too. My kids probably wish we'd get more food. Every time the the doorbell rings they jump up excited about what might be edible!

Shannon was awesome through the week I was in the hospital. He pulled double duty as Mr. Mom and nurse maid. We spent our 19th wedding anniversary in the hospital. I told him he was really being tested with the whole "for better or worse, in sickness and in health" clause. He was ready to trade me in for a newer model with a full warranty, I am sure of it.

I can just detect a hint of the sun's rays on the horizon. Mornings are so beautiful. I love seeing and hearing the Earth come to life. How can you not believe in God when you see all that surrounds you?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UHG!

There's an oil for that...

New Year ~ New Me