a step back

Two step forwards, one step back. This seems to be the theme of  my running this week. Yesterday, I couldn't have run if I'd even wanted to, and I didn't want to. I didn't even want to see my running shoes. Every part of my body hurt, ached like the flu. I had no choice but to sit yesterday out and rest. I was so lazy and it was wonderful.

This morning however, was tough. The run started really good. I had a good pace and made it through the first 6 minutes with out any problems. I walked for 1 minute then back to running. This did not go as smoothly. I was running my usual stride but then started struggling around minute 3. My breath was coming hard and my speed was slowing down. I just went with it, determined not to stop running and kept moving even at a slower rate. Finally, the ding for the 1 minute walk sounded. Gasping for air, I kept moving forward. *DING* Time to run again for another 6 minutes. I didn't make the whole 6 this time. I ran as long as I could and ended up walking the last minute and a half. Not happy.

I'm trying not to be disappointed by this. I also want something to blame it on. Could it be the Mexican food we ate last night? The wine I had with dinner? Where was my stamina? It was hotter today than the last few days, could that have interfered that much? My body was still a bit achey, could that have been a factor? My shins hurt today, maybe I need new shoes?

I guess, I could "what if" all day long and still not have an answer. Time to move forward and not let this run set me back mentally. So, I had a bad run today--this is normal, right?

I'm not sorry I ran today. It still felt great! I still love the burn and the release it gives even on a bad run. Yes, I am a runner and regardless, I can still enjoy a bad run because it makes for a good day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UHG!

There's an oil for that...

New Year ~ New Me